Wednesday, December 07, 2005

 

What is a Custom Chopper Builder Anyway?

Given all of the after market parts and motorcycle kits sold, it seems anyone can be called a bike builder if they have the bucks. Has today's market created an environment where you can buy the title "bike builder"?

It is amazing how many "Johnny-come-lately" people are out in biker community bragging about their custom build. When you talk to them about their bike, they can't give specifics beyond telling where they bought the parts to create a bike. Some people have gone as far to open a shop only to be out of business within the first six months. Believe me, I am not out to disrespect anyone who purchased a kit or who thumb through catalogs to purchase parts. But I am here to raise the question - what defines a bike builder?

Ironically, I have talked to people who work in the back room of motorcycle dealerships and independent shops. Day in and day out, they assemble bikes and install parts and yet, they don't consider themselves a "bike builder". When I ask about how they define a bike builder, it is a far cry from what the market says. They refer to a bike builder as someone who can fabricate what they ride. Of course, this begs the question "how much fabrication must be done to earn the title - bike builder?"

There is however a filtering process in the biker community thanks to Russell Mitchell's show Build or Bust. I am amused by the ego people have when entering the show only to be humbled by the assembly process. Could you imagine what would happen if these people actually had to bend metal to create the fender or gas tank? Clearly, the show reminds us of the huge difference between a true bike builder and someone who can assemble a bike from parts. Now you need to also keep in mind the time restraints that is placed on the person 30 days which in my opinion is actually 12 -15 days of actual assembly when you consider the time needed for paint, custom seats (if not purchased from a catalog) and parts delivery. Plus on average, they are getting eight hours in a day minus the heckling from the cast of characters on the show. At the end of the day, this show is a gentle reminder that there is more to bike building than meets the eye.

A couple of months ago, I had the good fortune to spend a couple of days with someone who actually won a bike from the show. He gave me great insight about the show. Then, he began urging me to apply to get onto the show. He gave me every reason why I should. But, repeatedly I said no. Mainly, my response was not in fear of assembling the bike. It just isn't the path I want to take when it comes to bike building.

While my buddies bought parts and kits and spent the summers riding and bragging. I spent money on a motorcycle technician course, welding classes and machine shop. Yep, learning everything I can about bending metal and a motorcycle. They laughed and asked why bother with all of the stuff on the market? I replied, I would rather be called a lousy bike builder than a great assembler of bike parts! I would love to spend three grand on motorcycle parts rather than a new TIG welder. But, one of the two will earn me more respect and provide for my family.

After all of the burns and cuts on my hands and the mountain of twisted hot metal I have been through, I sometimes question myself - is it really worth it in today's market were my skills are viewed as a dying art? Then the answer hits me - yes, it is worth it. For one, I love what I do and second, who cares if it is a art to be lost. All of the bike builders that we are fans of today were doing it before it was popular and will be doing it when the next trend comes along. The real question is which camp do you want to be part of? The camp of the latest trend or the camp of those who walked a tried and true path. The latter has a wide open door but, will require something from you, a large sacrifice that many people won't make. The immediate benefit is that you create something all your own. To me, that is a custom chopper. Also, in return, you will gain something that isn't provided by the other camp - respect for what you do as a bike builder.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?